John the Baptist is, after Jesus, probably the person we know most about from the Gospels.
- Isaiah 40 prophesied about him, as did Malachi 4
- Luke 1 speaks of his birth
- John 1 (along with Matthew 3, Mark 1, and Luke 3) speak of his ministry to baptize and preach
- John 3 – the last reference to John before he was imprisoned.
- Matthew 11 – John’s disciples seek out Jesus, and Jesus speaks of John.
- Matthew 14 – The reason for John’s imprisonment, and his execution.
What lessons do we learn from John?
- Doing the right thing may be costly
- Even people great in the Kingdom have doubts – and how he overcame them
- He must increase, I must decrease